Sunday, August 14, 2011

Burger Bliss at Kuma's Corner


The Megadeath burger: bloody and ready
for consumption. 
After five years and three foiled attempts, I finally made it to Kuma's Corner, a heavy metal bar located in Chicago's Avondale neighborhood. It's known for a few things: a cramped kitchen (16x6 to be precise), loud metal music and the best burgers within city limits. 

Kuma's is also notorious for its excessively long waits. Patient patrons can expect to wait more than two hours on a weeknight or weekend to taste one of Kuma's coveted burgers. Arrive hungry and you will surely end up fighting with your dining partner while you're waiting outside on the sidewalk.

I hadn't planned on writing about my visit to Kuma's. It has been covered so many times, and I wasn't sure I'd have much else to add to the discussion. 

However, my Lair of the Minotaur burger (brie, caramelized onions, pancetta, bourbon poached pear) was simply one of the greatest burgers of my lifetime; I couldn't not post about it on The Drunken Goat Dispatches.  

The bourbon poached pear offered
a slightly sweet contrast to the salty pancetta and brie.
The large roll served as a sturdy (but no overbearing) base for the thick, well-seasoned burger. The toppings were perfectly portioned, making for a well-constructed burger that stayed together with every large, heaping bite.

To say that Kuma's set the bar high for all future burgers is an understatement. I admit to even soaking up the extra burger grease with my remaining french fries. I simply didn't want it to end. 

2 comments:

  1. Like your writing, but isn't there something different that can be done? I get that food blogs are in vogue, but with several hundred or maybe thousands to choose from in Chicago alone...maybe something more could be added here? Chef interviews.. What's the chefs favorite creation? Video?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, feedback and ideas. I appreciate it! This is a new endeavor for me and a personal one at that. I love to write, eat and cook, so this just one creative way I'm channeling these passions. I'm definitely interested in incorporating more multimedia (podcasts, video, music, etc.) in the future, so stay tuned. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete