Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Classics - Part 2: Roast Chicken

After many years of cooking at home, one dish I come back to time and again is roasted chicken. It's a classic and can be repurposed into a multitude of other dishes and cooking staples, like chicken stock.
When I started cooking, my roast chicken was either too dry, too overdone or simply not flavorful enough.

Over the years, and with some inspiration and help from the Ina Garten, The Barefoot Contessa, I've finally perfected my roasted chicken. As an aside, Ina has been roasting a chicken for her husband every Friday night for most of their 35-plus year marriage, so she's kind of an authority on the subject. Here's her recipe for Perfect Roast Chicken.

Here's how I do it:

Roast Chicken a la Drunken Goat
The Bird: If I can buy a bird at the local farmer's market or butcher, that's guaranteed to be more flavorful, tender and delicious than one bought at the store. If I'm buying from the grocery store, I always buy organic, free-range chicken. It's well worth the extra money and peace of mind. If you're not sure what I mean by that, please watch Food, Inc.

The Rub: Combine garlic, rosemary, thyme, sage, dry mustard, lemon juice, salt, pepper and olive oil. Slather on the bird liberally. I like to rub it underneath the skin to ensure it penetrates the meat.

The Stuffing: One or two quartered lemons, stuffed in the cavity of the bird. The aromatics of the lemon make it flavorful, and the juice keeps it moist from the inside.

The Wine: I pour several cups of wine into the bottom of the roasting pan, which also helps to keep the meat juicy. White wine - either the drinking kind or the cooking kind - works well. I tend to prefer the drinking kind for the reason that I'm able to enjoy a glass of wine or two while the chicken roasts.

The Heat: 350 degrees for about 90 minutes (or longer/shorter depending on the size of your bird).

Once the bird is done, let it sit for 10-15 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute. Carve and enjoy with mashed potatoes, greens or pretty much anything.

*******
For Part 1, check out an earlier post on Salade Lyonnaise. What classic dish should I write about next?

No comments:

Post a Comment